I’m Pat Rosenheim, a.k.a. the PandA Trader.
It’s time for the weekly review of positions in the HYHRD (High Yield High Return Dividend) portfolio.
The spreadsheets for each individual account are now found in the Google docs spreadsheet.
I only post for my holdings, but they’re as accurate as I can make them. The symbols are; ACSF, AGD, ARCC, ARR, AWP, BDCL, BDJ, BFK, BGH, BKN, BTA, BXMX, CEFL, CLM, CRF, CSQ, CXE, DFP, DHF, DHY, DIAX, EAD, ECC, EVN, FFC, FHY, FIF, FLC, FPF, GAIN, GLAD, GOF, GUT, HIX, HPF, HPI, HPS, HYB, IVH, JPC, JPI, JPS, KIO, LDP, LEO, MAIN, MAV, MFM, MHI, MITT, MMD, MORL, NAD, NEWT, NHF, NRO, NRZ, NVG, NYMTN, NZF, OAKS, OIA, ORC, OXLC, PDT, PFD, PFO, PHK, PHT, PMF, PML, PMM, PMX, PSEC, PSF, QQQX, RA, REML, RFI, RNP, RQI, SAR, SCM, SPXX, STK, TICC, TLI, TPZ, TWO, & UTF. Quite a list, eh? (90 total issues held; 16 common stocks, 4 ETNs, 1 preferred share, and 69 CEFs, of which 18 are tax-free muni CEFs.) Most pay monthly! Only ARCC, BDCL, BXMX, DIAX, MITT, NEWT, NRZ, NYMTN, QQQX, SAR, SPXX, STK, TICC, & TWO pay quarterly.
This post examines all positions in the accounts. The trade logs are no longer updated because; a) it was a duplication of effort (the brokerage does it automatically), b) it was exceedingly tedious, c) figures from the brokerage were subject to change, making totals only approximate, and d) maybe it doesn’t need to be updated so frequently. I will post performance screenshots from our brokerages when they are available.
Not currently tracked or reported is my wife’s TSA, except for updates on the Balances chart.
“Smithers, release the hounds!”
- To date (from the Google sheets, for all holdings):
- Expected Dividends now shows $13,387.45 per year with yield on cost of 8.93% with total cost of $149,992.15.
- Unrealized change now shows $672.14 or 0.45% since purchase, leaving total value of the portfolio at $150,664.29.
- This is after my ongoing ‘harvesting’ of gains in the accounts, monthly withdrawals of dividend income, and includes cash.
- I am now also calculating unrealized change with total dividends received, and it shows $130,940.85 or 46.61% since portfolio inception on 4/4/12.
- I usually buy every month; either weekly, semimonthly, or monthly. I sell in 100+ share lots using limit sell orders and specifying AON.
- If I have any 100+ share limit sell orders specifying AON and the holding hits a target (like a new 52-week high), the order executes.
- Cash proceeds from the sale(s) of holdings and/or dividend payments are left in cash to either buy more or partially withdraw.
Let’s see how the rest of it breaks down;
Here’s what the #HYHRD (High Yield High Return Dividend) portfolio TTM performance screenshots look like;
First, 1 year sharebuilder joint account;
Now, YTD sharebuilder Pat’s Roth account (until March of 2018 when I will be able to show 1 year performance charts);
Now, YTD sharebuilder Arlene’s Roth account (until March of 2018 when I will be able to show 1 year performance charts);
Now, the latest Fidelity performance (sorry, no fancy graph and data only current as of 11/30/17);
Next, Fidelity 2016 performance (again, sorry, no fancy graph). Monthly data as of 12/31/16;
This data is further broken down on each separate sheet on our spreadsheets (but not shown here to save time and space).
- December 23rd Update
- Monthly withdrawals from settled cash in our accounts continue to augment our income.
- This blog is now hosted on wordpress.com. My domain, hyhrd.com, will redirect here unless/until it expires.
- On August 1st, the #HYHRD portfolio hit a new #milestone. We’ve received over $125,000.00 in dividends since portfolio inception on 4/4/12.
- On September 1st total dividends received since inception surpassed $126,000.00 about a month after reaching $125,000.00 in dividends received.
- On September 29th total dividends received since inception surpassed $127,000.00 about 4 weeks after reaching $126,000.00 in dividends received.
- On October 24th total dividends received since inception surpassed $128,000.00 about 3 weeks after reaching $127,000.00 in dividends received.
- On November 10th total dividends received since inception surpassed $129,000.00 about 2-1/2 weeks after reaching $128,000.00 in dividends received.
- On November 15th, I sold 300 shares of PHT in my wife’s Roth IRA account held at Capital One Investing.
- On November 15th, I sold 1500 shares of PHK in my wife’s Roth IRA account held at Capital One Investing.
- On November 15th, I bought 200 shares each of NYMTN & NYMTO in my wife’s Roth IRA account held at Capital One Investing.
- On November 15th, MRD (or RMD) was taken automatically from my wife’s TSA and 50% was withheld for Federal Income Tax.
- On November 15th I have decided to transfer all holdings from Capital One Investing to Merrill Edge.
- On November 15th I have also decided to gradually transfer all DTC eligible holdings from Merrill Edge to corresponding accounts @ Fidelty.
- I have to wait until I can transfer without losing the $200 bonus in each account, about 3 more months (by mid-March, 2018).
- On December 1st total dividends received since inception surpassed $130,000.00 exactly 3 weeks after reaching $129,000.00 in dividends received.
- On December 6th through the 9th, I sold all but 1 of each holding in my Robinhood account for eventual cash transfer to our checking account.
- There were spontaneous cash withdrawals on August 24th from ind-PandA ($1,000.00), Roth-P ($2,000.00), & Roth-A ($4,000.00).
- There were spontaneous cash deposits to my robinhood account on August 28th ($1,000.00), & August 29th ($5,000.00).
- Sunday, December 10th, 2017 robinhood reported that my portfolio value of $8,914.40 is comprised of $411.62 of “stocks”, and $8,502.78 in cash.
- I have a little issue with my holdings being referred to as “stocks”. I hold 90 securities; 16 common stocks, 4 ETNs, 2 preferred shares, 68 CEFs.
- Most of our portfolio is in our Roth IRAs; therefore the majority of our income is untaxed. We also hold 17 tax-free muni CEFs in a taxable account.
- Most or all of the money in my robinhood account most likely came out of our Roth IRAs.
- On December 11th, I sold 300 NYMTO in each Roth IRA, and bought 300 NYMTN in each Roth IRA.
- On December 13th, I withdrew $8,502.78 from my robinhood account and setup 5 automatic deposits of $1,000.00 on the 1st & 15th to ind-PandA.
- On December 29 total dividends received since inception will surpass $131,000.00 exactly 4 weeks after reaching $130,000.00 in dividends received.
Here’s a look at our balances from the 2017 Balances sheet (updated ~monthly and usually a week or so late.);
This is an old screenshot of a table at the bottom of my holdings sheet that shows; position size rank, % change since purchase rank, rank by yield, and rank by total return (the screenshot below is outdated, but the latest info on my google sheets). There’s also a table on the Holdings tab, the Dividends tab, and the Dates tab. Each one is a bit unique and may offer some insight or value perhaps? Worth a look, it is. Scroll down, you must…
PLEASE TAKE NOTE AND REMEMBER THIS!
I’m not telling anyone to buy anything or giving anyone any advice, because that’s illegal. You see, I have no letters after my name, like RIA, CFA, etc. I SIMPLY DO NOT GIVE ADVICE. I only tell (and show!) what I do. You, like me, are all alone in this.
And remember, always do your own due diligence!