I’m Pat Rosenheim, a.k.a. the PandA Trader.
It’s time for the weekly review of positions in the HYHRD (High Yield High Return Dividend) portfolio.
The spreadsheets for each individual account are now found in the Google docs spreadsheet.
I only post for my holdings, but they’re as accurate as I can make them. The symbols are; AGD, ARCC, ARR, AWP, BGH, BST, BXMX, CLM, CRF, CSQ, DIAX, DNP, ECC, FLC, FTF, GAIN, GLOP, GOF, HTD, IFN, IIF, JPC, JPI, KIO, KRP, LDP, LOAN, LOR, MAIN, MITT, NEWT, NHF, NRO, NRZ, NVG, NZF, OIA, OXLC, PCI, PDI, PDT, PFO, PHK, PHT, PMF, PML, PSF, QQQX, RA, RCKY, RFI, RNP, SAR, SPXX, STK, TPZ, UTF, & UTG. Quite a list, eh? (58 total issues held; 12 common stocks and 47 CEFs, of which 5 are tax-free muni CEFs.) Most pay monthly! Only ARCC, BXMX, DIAX, GLOP, IFN, KRP, LOAN, MITT, NEWT, NRZ, QQQX, RCKY, SAR, SPXX, & STK pay quarterly. IIF pays semi-annually.
“Smithers, release the hounds!”
- To date (from the Google sheets, for all holdings):
- Next Dividend now shows $24,762.67 with yield on cost of 17.51% with total cost of $141,444.13.
- Unrealized change now shows -$7,732.56 or -5.78% since purchase, leaving total value of the portfolio at $133,711.57.
- This is after my ongoing ‘harvesting’ of gains in the accounts, monthly withdrawals of dividend income, and includes cash.
- I am now also calculating unrealized change with total dividends received, and it shows $126,765.35 or 47.26% since portfolio inception on 4/4/12.
- November 17th Update
- Monthly withdrawals from settled cash in our accounts continue to augment our income, with withdrawals totaling $4,500.00 past 2 months.
- This blog is now hosted on wordpress.com. My domain, hyhrd.com, will redirect here unless/until it expires.
- On August 1st, the #HYHRD portfolio hit a new #milestone. We’ve received over $125,000.00 in dividends since portfolio inception on 4/4/12.
- On September 1st total dividends received since inception surpassed $126,000.00 about a month after reaching $125,000.00 in dividends received.
- On September 29th total dividends received since inception surpassed $127,000.00 about 4 weeks after reaching $126,000.00 in dividends received.
- On October 24th total dividends received since inception surpassed $128,000.00 about 3 weeks after reaching $127,000.00 in dividends received.
- On November 10th total dividends received since inception surpassed $129,000.00 about 2-1/2 weeks after reaching $128,000.00 in dividends received.
- On November 15th, MRD (or RMD) was taken automatically from my wife’s TSA and 50% was withheld for Federal Income Tax.
- On December 1st total dividends received since inception surpassed $130,000.00 exactly 3 weeks after reaching $129,000.00 in dividends received.
- Most of our portfolio is in our Roth IRAs; therefore the majority of our income is untaxed. We also hold 17 tax-free muni CEFs in a taxable account.
- On December 29 total dividends received since inception surpassed $131,000.00 exactly 4 weeks after reaching $130,000.00 in dividends received.
- On January 9, I partially converted 1/6th of my IRA to my Roth IRA.
- I will convert 1/5th, then 1/4th, then 1/3rd, then 1/2, & then the remainder of my IRA to my Roth IRA by January 15th each year to avoid forced RMD (or MRD).
- On January 24th total dividends received since inception surpassed $132,000.00 just under 4 weeks after reaching $131,000.00 in dividends received.
- On February 21st total dividends received since inception surpassed $133,000.00 exactly 4 weeks after reaching $132,000.00 in dividends received.
- On March 22nd total dividends received since inception surpassed $134,000.00 exactly 29 days after reaching $133,000.00 in dividends received.
- On April 15th total dividends received since inception surpassed $135,000.00 exactly 22 days after reaching $134,000.00 in dividends received.
- On April 30th total dividends received since inception surpassed $136,000.00 exactly 15 days after reaching $135,000.00 in dividends received.
- On May 31st total dividends received since inception surpassed $137,000.00 exactly 31 days after reaching $136,000.00 in dividends received.
- On June 14th small starter positions were initiated in ASG & FSD.
- No positions in my IRA DRIP @ Market. They either DRIP @ NAV or are discount-eligible to DRIP @ a DTC discount.
- On June 29th total dividends received since inception surpassed $138,000.00 exactly 29 days after reaching $137,000.00 in dividends received.
- On July 16th total dividends received since inception surpassed $139,000.00 exactly 17 days after reaching $138,000.00 in dividends received.
- On August 1st total dividends received since inception surpassed $140,000.00 exactly 17 days after reaching $139,000.00 in dividends received.
- I recently took a hiatus from posting on this blog. My wife & I travelled to Massachusetts so she could could see a specialist at Mass. General Hospital.
- I booked a one-way flight and a one-month hotel stay using points.
- I also rented a mini-van for the duration of our stay.
- We didn’t know how many doctor’s visits would be required or how long we’d be required to stay so that was the reason for the open-ended booking.
- As it turns out, I had accumulated the correct paperwork, and it was sufficient for the doctor to confirm the diagnosis of Wegener’s Granulamatosis.
- He also confirmed her treatment was exactly correct for the disease and although there is no cure we were on the right track.
- He did make some suggestions which we will discuss with her rheumatologists in Clearwater and Tampa.
- Other suggested changes will be discussed with her PCP and her nephrologist since she now also has Stage III Chronic Kidney Disease.
- I still have collapsed/collapsing vertebrae in my cervical and lumbar spine which severely impinges on the nerves causing a great deal of pain.
- This was not addressed during our trip to Massachusetts.
- I had the foresight to get advance prescriptions for the narcotics I was prescribed to help with my pain.
- I also had the foresight to check if the prescriptions could be filled in Massachusetts. The answer was ‘NO’.
- I had a friend here in Florida fill the prescriptions when due and send them to me at the hotel via USPS Priority Mail.
- When we returned I saw my doctor and had the dosage increased and 2 other medications added.
- I am now taking the highest possible dose of Oxycodone 4 times a day (every 6 hours).
- I am also taking a muscle relaxer 3 times a day (every 8 hours) and an anti-inflammatory with a sleep aid at bedtime.
- I was prescribed morphine sulphate twice a day but it wasn’t strong enough so now I am taking xtampza 18MG twice a day (every 12 hours).
- My wife had her already scheduled weekly Rituxan infusions begin the week after our return from Massachusetts.
- We will be discussing her infusion schedule & the water softener/reverse osmosis system that was recently installed at our home as well as any other necessary lifestyle changes with her doctors in order to accommodate her disease.
- The only parts of our trip up north that we had to pay for was the mini-van rental and flights, as well as 20 days of meals.
- We also put the cost of installing the water softener/reverse osmosis system on the credit card.
- The flights are on another credit card. My wife wants to go up north for Thanksgiving, which will go on the credit card.
- The credit card statements will be coming out for those expenses shortly.
- I’m thinking of taking a 0% balance transfer on an unused credit card to pay for these expenses over a year. There’s a one-time charge of 3% for the privilege.
- The alternative would be to sell quite a bit of our portfolio thereby reducing our monthly income forever.
- I think I’ve found an alternative to “reducing our portfolio income forever” and it might actually increase our portfolio income for a short time albeit at some cost.
- On August 31st total dividends received since inception surpassed $141,000.00 exactly 30 days after reaching $140,000.00 in dividends received.
- I may soon begin incorporating some margin into the portfolio. I am still studying the effects it might have.
- On September 28th total dividends received since inception surpassed $143,000.00 exactly 29 days after reaching $141,000.00 in dividends received.
- On October 31st total dividends received since inception surpassed $145,000.00 exactly 33 days after reaching $143,000.00 in dividends received.
- I’m using margin to enhance dividend capture in the taxable account, buying high-yield items and selling on ex-dividend day.
- On November 30th total dividends received since inception will surpass $147,000.00 exactly 30 days after reaching $145,000.00 in dividends received.
Here’s a look at our balances from the 2018 balances sheet (updated ~monthly and usually a week or so late.);
This is a screenshot of a table at the bottom of my Port. sheet that shows; position size rank, % change since purchase rank, rank by yield, and rank by total return (the screenshot below is not current). There’s also a table on the Div.’s tab, and the dates tab. Each one is a bit unique and may offer some insight or value perhaps? Worth a look, it is. Scroll down, you must…
PLEASE TAKE NOTE AND REMEMBER THIS!
I’m not telling anyone to buy anything or giving anyone any advice, because that’s illegal. You see, I have no letters after my name, like RIA, CFA, etc. I SIMPLY DO NOT GIVE ADVICE. I only tell (and show!) what I do. You, like me, are all alone in this.
And remember, always do your own due diligence!